Sunday, November 21, 2010

For A Girl

Come to me,

come to me now.

I, the pariah of love,
the last cowboy,
I will give chase across the sky
to tie and brand the sun,
to engrave upon it's surface your initials,
to give it a name,
to hang it from a chain,
a pendant to light your life.

Come with a smile.

From deep with the sacred mountains
I will gather the song of the wind,
the perfume of the wildflowers,
the diamond streams,
the cleansing rain,
the radiance of the snow,
the crystal edge of dawn;
symbols,
gifts of truth, of eternity;
wrap your fears in the velvet cloak of night,
cast them away.

Come to me now,
come with a smile.

I shall reap a harvest of stars from the sky,
thresh them clean and pure,
I will lay them at your feet,
a path through the darkness of uncertainty.

Please,
take my hand,
walk with me.

In the sweet, flowering smoke of a dream,
a solemn bell tolls a tribute to truth,
in defiance of fear,
caution cast to the fates,
gently touching this delicate aspiration,
unclad, in amity,
unfettered emotion,
unbridled passion.

Come to me now,
come with a smile,
stay forever.

In the pensive ebb of wakefulness,
I see your face,
gentle, the breeze in your hair,
sunlight reflected from golden locks,
in the drift of my mind,
I seek to touch your lips,
to caress your cheek;
I fear to awaken.

Come to me,
come in the morning,
as the sun rises
that I might awaken to the warmth of your smile.

In advocacy of freedom I have spoken,
freedom, O freedom,
simply, finally, an outlaw
lost and running,
a circle, broken;
for who is truly free
that stands alone and cold
under a winter sky,
that lies desperate
and alone on night's bed?

Like empty ships on a desert,
parting words of sorrow,
like burned down candles,
dreams of time spent with you.

© 2007 Michael Shelby

No comments:

Post a Comment